Threat status: critically endangered
Found in: coastal waters of New Zealand's West Coast North Island
Did you know:
- Māui dolphins are a subspecies of Hector’s dolphins, the world’s smallest dolphin.
- They are also some of the rarest dolphins in the world.
- They can only be found on the West Coast of the North Island.
Call DOC's 24 hour emergency hotline 0800 DOC HOT (0800 362 468) if you see:
- seals severely injured, entangled, or being harassed by people or dogs
- whale or dolphin strandings
- sick or injured wildlife.
- Hector’s/Māui dolphin sightings in the North Island, south of Awakino (near the Taranaki – Waikato boundary) and on the East Coast. Report these sightings immediately.