Taupo Nui a Tia Management Board
In 1992 a Deed of Agreement between the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board and the Crown resulted in the ownership of the beds of Taupo waters (beds of Lake Taupo and specified tributaries) being revested in Ngati Tuwharetoa, acknowledging its tribal mana and rangatiratanga.
The Taupo-nui-a-Tia Management Board was established in 1996 to manage and administer the beds of Taupo waters, in a partnership between Ngati Tuwharetoa and the Crown. The Board has eight members, four of whom are appointed by the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board to represent the interests of Ngati Tuwharetoa. The other four are appointed by the Minister of Conservation to represent the public interest on behalf of the Crown.
Sunset over Lake Taupo and the mountains of Tongariro National Park
Roles and functions
The Board is required by the 1992 Deed to:
- Manage the beds of Taupo waters, as if they were a reserve for recreation purposes under section 17 of the Reserves Act 1977;
- Act in accordance with an administering body under the Reserves Act 1977; and
- Determine such conditions and restrictions as the Board considers necessary for the protection and wellbeing of the beds of Taupo waters and for the protection and control of the public using them.
The core functions of the Board are to:
- Consider all applications to use the beds of Taupo waters for any purpose or development allowed under law;
- Forward applications which are supported by the Board to the landowner for a final decision. If applications are not supported the Board advises the applicant and the landowner that the application has been declined;
- Consider and advise on the merits of any proposal referred by the Minister of Conservation to release any area of the beds of Taupo waters from the Deed;
- Make submissions to the Tuwharetoa Maori Trust Board, Environment Waikato, Taupo District Council, or any other agency as appropriate, regarding conditions or restrictions that the Board considers necessary; and
- Provide services or facilities for public use of the beds where necessary.
For an application form or more information on Taupo-nui-a-Tia Management Board contact:
Community Relations Officer - Board Support
|Tongariro Whanganui Taranaki
||+64 7 378 3885
Full office details
back to top