These things to make at home or school feature some of our most-loved creatures. For more nature inspired arts and craft activity ideas, check out the DOC Pinterest page.
From the book 'Kiwi Creatures Colouring and Conservation Illustrations' by Bruce Mahalski and Carol Knutson:
Kākāpō colouring in picture
Become a bird (or a weta) for a day! Print off one of the masks below, colour them in and cut them out to create your very own face mask.
How about learning about bird or weta habitat and role playing – listen to these birds' songs and see if you can sound like them!
Making the masks
You will need sticky tape or a stapler to attach the head band to your face mask – get someone to help you measure around your head.
The face masks fit best if you print them on A3 paper or card:
- Kākā mask (JPG, 554K)
- Kea (PDF, 824K)
- Little blue penguin/Kororā (PDF, 309K)
- Northern NZ dotterel/tuturiwhatu pukunui (JPG, 483K)
- NZ fairy tern/taraiti (JPG, 430K)
- NZ falcon/kārearea (PDF, 756K)
- NZ wood pigeon/kererū face (JPG, 460K)
- Orange-fronted parakeet/kākāriki (PDF, 763K)
- Red crowned parakeet/kākāriki mask (JPG, 462K)
- Yellow-crowned parakeet/kākāriki (JPG, 518K)
- Yellow-eyed penguin/Hoiho (PDF, 291K)
- Wētā (PDF, 751K)
- Whio from the Whio Forever website
Print out the PDFs to make these 3D birds
Print out these birds at A4 or A3 size then cut out, fold and stick together to make a 3D Bird – these birds will stand up by themselves.
- Fairy tern/tara-iti A4 (PDF, 536K)
- Fairy tern/tara-iti A3 (PDF, 538K)
- New Zealand pigeon/kererū A4 (PDF, 175K)
- New Zealand pigeon/kererū A3 (PDF, 176K)
- Kōkako A4 (PDF, 175K)
- Kōkako A3 (PDF, 176K)
- Tāiko A4 (PDF, 533K)
- Tāiko A3 (PDF, 535K)
- Blue duck/whio A4 (PDF, 144K)
- Blue duck/whio A3 (PDF, 144K)
- Tūī A4 (PDF, 500K)
- Tūī A3 (PDF, 501K)