If you want to use public conservation land to run a business or activity you must get permission from DOC in the form of a concession.

DOC is currently reorganising how we process our permissions. This is an internal change and your interactions with DOC and the time it takes to process your application should not change. If you have any questions talk to your local contact or email

Primary and secondary schools do not need a permit to camp on public conservation land unless a commercial organisation is organising the trip. Tertiary institutions organising a research trip for students are likely to need a permit. 

Back to top