Photos we need
People outdoors and enjoying nature
If you have photos of your friends or family camping, walking or enjoying other activities in the outdoors, we'd love to see them.
Photos that show the inside and outside of our huts, campsites, picnic areas and other facilities. These are really useful as they help to show people what they can expect when visiting these places.
View a list of places that we need photos of.
We don't need species images
We don't need photos of species for the website.
How to submit your photos
To submit a photo, email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'photo submission' in the subject line. Either:
- include your photo as an attachment to the email, or
- send us a link if your photos can be accessed on flickr or another website.
You must have the right to share the photo, and if there are people in the shot you must have their permission. If children appear, you need permission from their parent or guardian.
Details to include
- Your full name so we can give you credit.
- Where the photo was taken (be as specific as possible).
- If people are in the photo, confirmation that you have asked their permission.
- Confirmation that you are the legal owner of the photo and have the right to share it.
- Confirmation that you allow your photo to be shared with others (see 'Copyright licence' below).
File size: If you are sending your photo as an email attachment, the file should be no larger than 10MB or it may not arrive in our inbox. You can reduce the file size using online tools such as TinyJPG or Compressor.io.
Resolution: The larger the resolution, the more likely your photo will be useful. If it is around 2000 - 4000 pixels wide this will give us the flexibility to use your photo online and in printed publications. We may need to crop your photo.
We allow photos shared with us to be used by our partners, individuals or other organisations. We apply the Creative Commons licence Attribution (CC BY 3.0).
Let us know if:
- you want us to apply a different Creative Commons licence
- you don't want your photo to be used by others – we'll add a copyright symbol (however we are less likely to use your photo).
- If we use your photo, you'll be given a credit with the photo.
- If you supply a link to your flickr account, blog or website we can link to it in the credit.
Terms and conditions
By submitting your photo you agree to the following:
- You are granting the Department of Conservation (DOC) permission to use your photo as it sees fit, for the sole purpose of promoting conservation and recreation activities.
- You are granting permission for your photo to be used in any medium or form of distribution, including but not limited to: the DOC website, social media channels, brochures, posters and other printed material. We may need to crop your photo, depending on how we use it.
- Depending on which licence you have selected, your photo may be shared with DOC's partners, individuals, or other third party organisations.
- You will not receive any payment if DOC decides to use your photo however you will always receive credit/acknowledgement whenever your photo is used. This will occur either in a picture credit, caption, link or acknowledgement within the publication.
- You retain copyright and intellectual property of the photo.
- You warrant that you hold all copyright and intellectual property in your photo.
- You indemnify and hold harmless both the Director-General and Minister of Conservation against all claims brought by any third party claiming breach of copyright or privacy breach in the photo.