Download the resource
Download the Whio Forever education resource and supporting material:
- Whio/blue duck (PPTX, 4,816K)
- Whio and people (PPTX, 9,272K)
- Whio habitats (PPTX, 4,195K)
- Whio special features (PPTX, 4,457K)
- Whio mountain (PDF, 4,296K)
Download the Stoats and rivers game from the Whio Forever website.
We would love to get your feedback about this resource. To be involved in a short survey at a later date, submit your details and we will be in touch.
Your feedback helps us to improve our resources, and ensure that they are useful to you and your students.
Teachers can also share their ideas, experiences and resources about whio with this discussion group on The Pond.
Learning objectives of this resoure
By the end of their learning inquiry, students will have a multi-faceted, deep understanding of whio, beyond just facts. They will learn about:
- Whio ecology: where they live, what they eat, their adaptations, and how they stay alive
- How people are involved with whio
- Whio challenges: Whio threats and how people contribute to these
- Visiting whio: Where to see whio and what we can learn by observing them
- How they can act to solve an issue for whio in their community
- Other information depending on where their inquiry leads.
Free teacher webinars
Join our professional learning webinars introducing the Whio Forever resource and discover why the whio/blue duck is so important to New Zealand.
For more information and to register, visit the Science Learning Hub or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinar name and date
Diving into inquiry with whio: 6 April 2017
Why teach/learn about whio?: 11 May 2017
Inquiry outside the classroom: 1 June 2017
Taking action for conservation: 22 June 2017
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.