Download the resource
Experiencing invertebrates in your green space (PDF, 7,820K)
Download the invertebrates factsheets:
Students identifying insects using the NZ Invertebrates ID guide
Image: Marie McDonald
Using this resource students will:
- connect with and learn about invertebrates and begin to group/ classify them
- gather and interpret data about native and introduced invertebrates living in a local green space
- begin to understand how invertebrates are part of a wider ecosystem.
Note: This resource is about land invertebrates. For information about aquatic invertebrates, see our Habitat Heroes: Explore your local stream resource.
Level 1-4 Science
Verran School students investigating invertebrates
- Living World: Evolution, Ecology, Life Processes
- Nature of Science: Investigating in science, communicating in science, Understanding about science, Participating and contributing
- Planet Earth and Beyond: Earth systems
English: Listening, reading and viewing, Speaking, writing and presenting, Ideas
The arts: Music, visual arts
- Gather and interpret data
- Use evidence
- Critique evidence
- Interpret representations
- Engage with science
- Experience and connect with invertebrates in your green space through the introductory activities
- Planning your investigation and learning about NZ invertebrates
- Gathering and reflecting on data about invertebrates in your green space
- Extending thinking about invertebrates
- Sharing knowledge and taking the next steps in exploring your green spaces
- Native animals
- Forests and green spaces
Curriculum learning areas
- Social science
- Education for sustainability
- Maths and statistics
We would love to get your feedback about this resource. To be involved in a short survey, fill in the online form and we will be in touch.
Your feedback helps us to improve our resources, and ensure that they are useful to you and your students.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.