Download the resource
Experiencing birds in your green space (PDF, 6,937K)
Using this resource students will:
- gather and interpret data about birds living in a local green space
- identify and learn about key native, endemic and introduced birds
- begin to understand how birds are part of a wider ecosystem.
Level 1-4 Science
- Living World: Evolution, Ecology, Life Processes
- Nature of Science: Investigating in science, communicating in science, Understanding about science, Participating and contributing
Verran School students doing bird survey
- Gather and interpret data
- Use evidence
- Critique evidence
- Interpret representations
- Engage with science
- Experience birds outdoors and introduce a bird learning context with an introductory activity.
- Plan your investigation, learn about NZ birds and form/add to a learning inquiry.
- Gather data about birds in your area and examine the data.
- Find out more about birds linking in your local green space.
- Contribute to local and community information and share knowledge.
LEARNZ virtual field trips:
- Garden Bird Survey – who's in your backyard?
On this virtual field trip your students will become citizen scientists! They will join thousands of other citizen scientists all over New Zealand as they take part in the annual NZ Garden Bird Survey. View the field trip videos on Vimeo.
- Kererū Count – kaitiakitanga in action
On this field trip you will find plenty of good news stories of people working effectively to increase the population of kererū. Running during Term 3, 2016. More about the Kererū Count field trip.
- Native animals
- Forests and green spaces
Curriculum learning areas
- Social science
- Education for sustainability
- Maths and statistics
We would love to get your feedback about this resource. To be involved in a short survey, fill in the online form and we will be in touch.
Your feedback helps us to improve our resources, and ensure that they are useful to you and your students.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.