Historic Booth's Cottage
Glenhope Scenic Reserve, DOC St Arnaud office.
The long rectangular cottage (11 x 2.5m) has four rooms and is mainly built of lapped beech slab over pole beech framing with a corrugated iron roof. A similarly constructed shed stands at the eastern end of the cottage. It appears to have been constructed in four distinct stages. Remedial work was carried out in 1995 by the Department of Conservation with the help of the Louis Creek Miners Association.
Situated in a small forest clearing above Louis Creek on an old miners’ track.
This cottage was built by Sid Booth and Ray Clarke in 1933 during the Depression when both were on the government Gold Prospecting Subsidy Scheme. It was the family home of Sid and Eva Booth and their son Teddy for over 10 years. Sid was often away mining or doing other work for months at a time and Eva and Teddy stayed at the cottage. A telephone line was connected to the hut in the 1940s. Bulbs and other plantings from the family’s garden and a variety of artefacts including old footwear and bottles are visible around the clearing. Ted Booth was one of the group to help with remedial work in 1995. It has a historic theme of gold mining and more recently one of recreation although it is not used for overnight accommodation.
Booth's Cottage (built 1933)
A hut built with rough bush-carpentry methods with tacked on additions as required. The horizontal lapped slabs are a variation on the theme of slab construction Representative of depression mining huts on the Howard Goldfield.
One of few remaining huts from the depression gold mining era in the Howard area. Gives an insight into the basic lifestyle prevalent on the Howard Goldfield. Associated with one family who stayed on after most had left.
Source: SCO Historic Resources file; HIS014, Buckingham 1993; 26.
The hut will be maintained to protect its fabric and minimise deterioration. A conservation plan has been prepared (Bagley, 1994), this contains more information about the hut.
back to top